US CENSUS BUREAU
What is the US Census?
The 2020 United States Census will be the twenty-fourth United States Census. National Census Day, the reference day used for the census, will be April 1, 2020.
The U.S. Census has been conducted every 10 years since 1790 and is mandated by the US Constitution. (This is NOT connected to the Town of Someret Annual Census that you receive every year.)
It is very important that our community is aware of the importance of answering the US Census and how it benefits our community. Visit https://2020census.gov/en for information on why it matters!
Timeline of Census Activity
As 2020 approaches, residents should be aware of activities that will be conducted by the US Census Bureau in our community. To access this information, click on the link, https://www.censusoutreach.org/census-timeline
The US Census Bureau has been actively working on the launch of the 2020 census and is currently conducting the in-field Address Canvassing stage (August – October 2019). See video and file attachment about census canvassing below.)
If you are visited by someone from the Census Bureau, and want to verify their identity and occupation, here are some tips to assure the validity of the field representative:
- Census takers must present an ID badge that includes a photograph of the field representative, a Department of Commerce watermark, and an expiration date.
- Follow this link and enter any field representative’s credentials.
- Note that census workers may be carrying a Census Bureau phone or a laptop as well as a bag with a Census Bureau logo.
- This link shows a map of locations where Census workers will be working. https://gis-portal.data.census.gov/arcgis/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=1a0004d1745547888c8fd2f4d929d42f
- If you still have questions, call 800-991-2520 to speak with a Regional Census Bureau representative.
US Census Jobs
For information on employment opportunities please follow this link https://2020census.gov/en/jobs
What’s new for the 2020 Census
The goal of the US Census Bureau for 2020 is to reach every household, and count every person once, and only once, in the right location! In 2020, the US Census can be answered on-line, over the telephone, or in person. For more information follow this link:
|Frequently Asked Questions about Address Canvassing||262.49 KB|