- Meetings are usually at 6 pm on the second and fourth Tuesday of the month in the first-floor Hearing Room at the Town Office Building on 140 Wood St. Somerset, Massachusetts. Other venues are used when greater space is required for a large public meeting. Check agendas for times and venues.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings both online and at the Town Clerk's office. Minutes are available online and at the Town Administrator's office (Paula Ramos, secretary) following approval by the Board.
The Planning Board consists of five board members elected to staggered 5-year terms:
- Gary Simons, Chair, Term Ending: April 10, 2028
- Lloyd Mendes, Clerk, Term ending: April 14, 2027
- Nicole McDonald, Member, Term Ending: April 13, 2026
- William Raposa Jr., Member, Term Ending: April 14, 2025
- Tim Turner, Member, Term Ending: April 8, 2024
The Board is supported by:
- Paula Ramos, Secretary (and admin assistant to the Town Administrator)
- William "Bill" Forand, Building Commissioner
The Planning Board is responsible for the following (with applications linked below):
- Approves the subdivision of land according to state and town laws. See Rules and Regulations Governing the Subdivision of Land within the boundaries of Somerset. For application forms see:
- Application for approval of a Preliminary Subdivision Plan (Form B).
- Application for approval of a Definitive Subdivision Plan (Form C).
- Example of a typical covenant to ensure the construction of ways and the installation of municipal services withing a subdivision under Massachusetts General Law Chapter 41 section 81-u (Form D).
- Full or Partial Covenant Release (Form E) to release covenanted lots from restrictions.
- Endorses plans of land of boundary changes for which the Board's approval is not required (ANR or Form A) under Massachusetts General Law Chapter 41 section 81-p.
- grants Special Permits under the zoning by-law for the following uses:
- Enforces the Somerset By-law Concerning Discharges to the Municipal Storm Drain System.
- Grants Stormwater Permit applications under the Planning Board's Stormwater Management Regulations.
- Provides technical assistance and written recommendations to the Zoning Board of Appeals on Planned Developments;
- Recommends street acceptance and zoning by-law changes to voters at Town Meetings.
Filing of applications is done through the Town Clerk's Office.
Additional links on current + recent topics:
Revision / Recodification of the Somerset Zoning Bylaws
As a part of the Master Planning process, a thorough revision and recodification of the Town's Zoning bylaws was recommended in order to improve the bylaw's organization, enhance government efficiency, and ease enforcement, while making the bylaws more user-friendly for the public.
The Town will follow a two-step process including a diagnostic review by an attorney, to identify deficiencies and conducting an in-depth review of Somerset's existing regulations, identifying topics of critical concern. A key component in the process includes the Planning Board and Zoning Board of Appeals preparing their own punch list of proposed zoning changes and any concerns regarding the current application process.
On August 12, 2020, the Zoning Recodification Committee sponsored a Zoning Bylaw Informational meeting in order to gain more insight and feedback regarding how the residents and businesses in the community are utilizing the regulatory process and to assist in guiding the outcome of drafting the bylaws.
For more information regarding the Somerset Zoning Recodification Project visit the Somerset Zoning Recodification page.
- Town Hall, First Floor
140 Wood Street
Somerset, MA 02726
See map: Google Maps
- Phone: 508-646-2809
- Fax: 508-646-2802
Monday through Friday
8:30 am to 4 pm