View Contact Info
Hours of Operation
Saturday: 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
Thursday Evening: 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm
or by appointment
How to Reach Us
Became a member of the Bay State Historical League. An official seal was accepted in the spring of 1959. The Story of the Somerset Historical Society
In May of 1956 the society became a member of the Bay State Historical League. An official seal was accepted in the spring of 1959. Its artist-designer was Allison Macomber. Mrs. Charles Mosher was curator during the early years of the society and actually operated out of two beautiful trunks. One held baby and children’s clothing from her own family. For some reason, artifacts were not donated, volunteers were few, and there was no financial aid. The faithful carried on until 1968 when it was decided to discontinue monthly meetings. Then, in 1974, Mrs. Howard Pierce and Charles Doucette decided to reorganize. Now the historical society is housed in the former Village School.
The Hathaway room is named for three sisters, it has a parlor, dining room and kitchen, all set in the 1930′s. It features a Hoosier cupboard, oil/gas stove, 1938 refrigerator, depression glass, a golden oak desk and a plaque naming the sisters. They gave generously to the museum and willed $1,000,000 to the Town of Somerset.
The Indian room has the largest collection of Indian artifacts in Southern Massachusetts. Here, also is a panorama, in miniature of an Indian Village, weapons and tools, drawings, kachini dolls and a totem pole.
The tool room exhibits a 200-year-old lathe (pictured below), as well as blacksmith’s bellows, corn shucker,ice cutting tools, an early plow and a cobbler shop.
In the general store postal boxes, filled with family secrets and gifts, to be opened in 2040 on the 250th anniversary of the incorporation of Somerset.There is a newspaper of 1938 showing food prices back then, clay marbles and glassies, jacks and tops, an ornate cash register, cases containing artificial candy and meat made by Girl Scouts, bolts of cotton material and ever so many other items sold in general stores and markets of long ago.
The pottery and military room has the potter’s wheel used by Charles E. Hathaway and valuable pieces of Somerset pottery.
Also displayed are a clay donut thermometer, the roster of Somerset potters, military uniforms, mementos of the Civil War, World War I and II and other conflicts, and a quilt with World War II shoulder patches.
Help us raise the funds to renovate and restore the Museum’s Military Room. We would like to display the fantastic collection of military artifacts in a manner that pays tribute to the veterans of Somerset and their families, and to preserve the significance of there efforts for all future generations. With your help we can make this exhibit one in which we will be all proud of.